Quy Fen.... Naked Men
Brenda
2003-09-17 08:51:51 UTC
I was walking my three Jack Russels the other day in Quy Fen...

I was very surprised to see eldery men, completly naked, skulking in
the bushes.....

Are they nudists, or just homosexuals.

One of them had a dog with him, but it was wearing it's collar.

As a civilised woman, I was shocked to see such rampant nudity.

Now if they were young or attractive or both, I'd of been over there.

I mentioned it to the vicar at my local church, he seemed more
interested than shocked, and asked for detailed directions.

What am I to do......?
Has any one else noticed this phenomon on the fen?

http://www.riflesports.com/monardusa/measurements/10.htm
The Natural Philosopher
2003-09-17 09:25:09 UTC
Post by Brenda
I was walking my three Jack Russels the other day in Quy Fen...
I was very surprised to see eldery men, completly naked, skulking in
the bushes.....
Are they nudists, or just homosexuals.
One of them had a dog with him, but it was wearing it's collar.
As a civilised woman, I was shocked to see such rampant nudity.
Now if they were young or attractive or both, I'd of been over there.
I mentioned it to the vicar at my local church, he seemed more
interested than shocked, and asked for detailed directions.
What am I to do......?
Has any one else noticed this phenomon on the fen?
http://www.riflesports.com/monardusa/measurements/10.htm
I think they are probably silkies. I had a similar experience years ago,
walking a river path in Surrey.
Christian Mayne
2003-09-17 13:44:01 UTC
Excuse my ignorance - what are silkies?
Hedley Francis
2003-09-17 13:53:30 UTC
Post by Christian Mayne
Excuse my ignorance - what are silkies?
They are a form of bantam chicken. Silkie hens are more furry than feathery
and have fluffy heads and feet.

See: http://www.silkiehens.co.uk/ ...
Christian Mayne
2003-09-17 14:06:41 UTC
Post by Hedley Francis
Post by Christian Mayne
Excuse my ignorance - what are silkies?
They are a form of bantam chicken. Silkie hens are more furry than feathery
and have fluffy heads and feet.
See: http://www.silkiehens.co.uk/ ...
Yeah...yeah, I saw that too when doing a google search. There was nothing
to suggest they are often confused with naked men though.
LNR
2003-09-17 14:09:40 UTC
Post by Christian Mayne
http://www.silkiehens.co.uk/ ...
Yeah...yeah, I saw that too when doing a google search. There was nothing
to suggest they are often confused with naked men though.
I think the original author meant selkies, perhaps it's an alternative
spelling?

http://www.orkneyjar.com/folklore/selkiefolk/
***@lspace.org http://lnr.livejournal.com/
zulu
2003-09-17 14:40:53 UTC
Post by LNR
Post by Christian Mayne
Post by Hedley Francis
Post by Christian Mayne
Excuse my ignorance - what are silkies?
They are a form of bantam chicken. Silkie hens are more furry than
http://www.silkiehens.co.uk/ ...
Yeah...yeah, I saw that too when doing a google search. There was nothing
to suggest they are often confused with naked men though.
I think the original author meant selkies, perhaps it's an alternative
spelling?
Probably...cam.misc does seem to have more than it's fair share! <VBG>
Post by LNR
http://www.orkneyjar.com/folklore/selkiefolk/
Thank you, that was _very_ interesting, 'twas the first I'd heard of them.
--
Š zulu Š
Anti spam - no mail accepted to this address
reply to group - thank you :-)
Simon
2003-09-17 14:36:13 UTC
Post by LNR
I think the original author meant selkies, perhaps it's an alternative
spelling?
http://www.orkneyjar.com/folklore/selkiefolk/
Quote from the above site:
A selkie man in human form was a handsome creature with almost magical
seductive powers over mortal women. These selkie-men had no qualms in
casting off their seal-skins, stashing them carefully, and heading
inland to seek illicit intercourse with an "unsatisfied woman".

This doesn't really fit with Brenda's description of "elderly men...
skulking in the bushes"...

Simon.
The Natural Philosopher
2003-09-17 15:56:30 UTC
Post by Simon
Post by LNR
I think the original author meant selkies, perhaps it's an alternative
spelling?
http://www.orkneyjar.com/folklore/selkiefolk/
A selkie man in human form was a handsome creature with almost magical
seductive powers over mortal women. These selkie-men had no qualms in
casting off their seal-skins, stashing them carefully, and heading
inland to seek illicit intercourse with an "unsatisfied woman".
This doesn't really fit with Brenda's description of "elderly men...
skulking in the bushes"...
Well. Poetic license.
:-)
Simon.
Gropius Riftwynde
2003-09-17 18:34:21 UTC
Post by LNR
Post by Christian Mayne
Post by Hedley Francis
Post by Christian Mayne
Excuse my ignorance - what are silkies?
They are a form of bantam chicken. Silkie hens are more furry than
http://www.silkiehens.co.uk/ ...
Yeah...yeah, I saw that too when doing a google search. There was nothing
to suggest they are often confused with naked men though.
I think the original author meant selkies, perhaps it's an alternative
spelling?
This has to be a cam.misc spelling classic.

GR
The Natural Philosopher
2003-09-18 11:31:08 UTC
Post by Gropius Riftwynde
Post by LNR
Post by Christian Mayne
Post by Hedley Francis
Post by Christian Mayne
Excuse my ignorance - what are silkies?
They are a form of bantam chicken. Silkie hens are more furry than
http://www.silkiehens.co.uk/ ...
Yeah...yeah, I saw that too when doing a google search. There was nothing
to suggest they are often confused with naked men though.
I think the original author meant selkies, perhaps it's an alternative
spelling?
This has to be a cam.misc spelling classic.
Its a valid alternative. I was not aware of 'selkie' till I looked it up.

If you say it with a broad heeland accent, you can see wha i' kanna be
dosteenguished aye?
GR
Simon
2003-09-17 14:04:43 UTC
Post by Hedley Francis
Post by Christian Mayne
Excuse my ignorance - what are silkies?
They are a form of bantam chicken. Silkie hens are more furry than feathery
and have fluffy heads and feet.
So what have bantam chickens got to do with strange
goings on with naked men in the fens?

(I know I'm going to regret asking this, but someone
has to :-)
Brian Watson
2003-09-17 18:22:19 UTC
Post by Hedley Francis
Post by Christian Mayne
Excuse my ignorance - what are silkies?
They are a form of bantam chicken. Silkie hens are more furry than feathery
and have fluffy heads and feet.
I think Brenda saw cocks, not hens.

HTH.

--
Brian
"Not quite an Angel"
Sor C Mann
Let's not even go down that route! :-)
Brian Watson
2003-09-18 06:01:20 UTC
Post by Sor C Mann
Post by Hedley Francis
Post by Hedley Francis
and have fluffy heads and feet.
I think Brenda saw cocks, not hens.
Let's not even go down that route! :-)
Too late, Brenda already did.

:-)

--
Brian
"Not quite an Angel"
oldmolly
2003-09-18 21:52:50 UTC
Post by Hedley Francis
in
Post by Hedley Francis
and have fluffy heads and feet.
I think Brenda saw cocks, not hens.
But if they were silkies, they would only be very small ones :0)

---
Brian Watson
2003-09-19 05:35:38 UTC
Post by oldmolly
Post by Hedley Francis
in
Post by Hedley Francis
and have fluffy heads and feet.
I think Brenda saw cocks, not hens.
But if they were silkies, they would only be very small ones :0)
"To see one cock might be deemed a misfortune, to see two ..."

--
Brian
"Let's be grateful for our Fridays and face our Mondays with good humour."
The Natural Philosopher
2003-09-17 15:55:47 UTC
Post by Christian Mayne
Post by The Natural Philosopher
I think they are probably silkies. I had a similar experience years ago,
walking a river path in Surrey.
Excuse my ignorance - what are silkies?
An earthly nurse sits and sings,
And aye, she sings by lily wean,
Sayin "little ken I my bairn's father,
Far less the land where he dwells in."

For he came on night to her bed feet,
And a grumbly guest, I'm sure was he,
Saying "Here am I, thy bairn's father,
Although I be not comely."

"I am a man upon the land,
I am a silkie on the sea,
And when I'm far and far frae land,
My home it is in Sule Skerrie."

And he had ta'en a purse of gold
And he had placed it upon her knee,
Saying, "Give to me my little young son,
And take thee up thy nurse's fee."

"And it shall come to pass on a summer's day,
When the sun shines bright on every stane,
I'll come and fetch my little young son,
And teach him how to swim the faem."

"And ye shall marry a gunner good,
And a right fine gunner I'm sure he'll be,
And the very first shot that e'er he shoots
Will kill both my young son and me."

SYLLABICATION: selkie
VARIANT FORMS: also silkie
NOUN: A creature or spirit in Scottish and Irish folklore that has the
form of a seal but can also assume human form.
ETYMOLOGY: Dialectal diminutive of seal2.
Nick Wagg
2003-09-17 09:52:32 UTC
Post by Brenda
I was very surprised to see eldery men, completly naked, skulking in
the bushes...
<snip>
Post by Brenda
http://www.riflesports.com/monardusa/measurements/10.htm
Does the link have anything to do with the observation above?
Nick Wagg
Steve Wilcockson
2003-09-17 10:18:26 UTC
Remarkable that you've posted this. I was chatting with folk here about this
the other day.

I've been there on a jog a couple of work lunchtimes this last few months.
In some ways, I tend to prefer it to the towpath because you meet less
people and the ground (from Horningsea to Quy Fen) is nice to run on. Having
said that, both times I've been there have been lorry & van drivers who I'm
not entirely sure are just eating sandwiches. One of them made quite a
remark - in a suggestive rather than chatty manner - the last time I went as
to whether "anyone was up to something at the Fen". Given my experiences, I
suspected it's the Cambridgeshire equivalent of Thetford Forest. There's
nothing wrong with it, but it is intimidating and having done the jogs and
certainly seeing the blatantly obvious things in the bin by the gate going
into the Fen, I do worry now about seeing stuff I shouldn't - legal or
illegal - and probably will stick to the safer towpath in future.
Mary Pegg
2003-09-17 12:35:23 UTC
experiences, I suspected it's the Cambridgeshire equivalent of Thetford
Forest. There's nothing wrong with it, but it is intimidating and having
And Thetford Forest is Norfolk's equivalent of Hampstead Heath, or have
I got the wrong end of the stick?
Steve Wilcockson
2003-09-17 12:51:07 UTC
I guess so. Apparently Thetford Forest (specifically one of the heaths, I
can't remember which one though) is frequented by lots of councillors and
the Norfolk society set.

Dunno that Quy Fen can quite claim to be that established, but maybe it is
something for it to aspire to.
Brian Watson
2003-09-17 18:20:40 UTC
Post by Steve Wilcockson
I guess so. Apparently Thetford Forest (specifically one of the heaths, I
can't remember which one though) is frequented by lots of councillors and
the Norfolk society set.
There is a little cut-through by road, off the A11 travelling south, that
cuts through to Mildenhall.

It is a (quite) well-known meeting place for homosexuals and one was
murdered there a year or so ago.

--
Brian
"Style advisor to the seasonally-challenged"
Anna Ford's Bum
2003-09-17 11:46:25 UTC
Post by Brenda
I was walking my three Jack Russels the other day in Quy Fen...
I was very surprised to see eldery men, completly naked, skulking in
the bushes.....
Are they nudists, or just homosexuals.
One of them had a dog with him, but it was wearing it's collar.
As a civilised woman, I was shocked to see such rampant nudity.
Now if they were young or attractive or both, I'd of been over there.
I mentioned it to the vicar at my local church, he seemed more
interested than shocked, and asked for detailed directions.
What am I to do......?
Has any one else noticed this phenomon on the fen?
http://www.riflesports.com/monardusa/measurements/10.htm
Dam, I have been found out

AF'sB
Sor C Mann
2003-09-17 12:50:47 UTC
Post by Brenda
I was walking my three Jack Russels the other day in Quy Fen...
I was very surprised to see eldery men, completly naked, skulking in
the bushes.....
Are they nudists, or just homosexuals.
One of them had a dog with him, but it was wearing it's collar.
Go and get your video camera and send it Kirsty's (Uncensored) Home Videos.
They'll give you good dosh for that.
Chris Brown
2003-09-17 13:18:37 UTC
Post by Sor C Mann
Go and get your video camera and send it Kirsty's (Uncensored) Home Videos.
They'll give you good dosh for that.
This programme is variously known as "Kirsty's Naked People", or "Kirsty's
People Falling Over" in our household. I understand it's meant to be
amusing, but can't for the life of me see how.

- Oh look, it's someone without any clothes on (canned laughter).

- Look, it's someone falling over! (more canned laughter)

- Now we have... Naked people falling over! (canned hysterics)
--
/* _ */main(int k,char**n){char*i=k&1?"+L*;99,RU[,RUo+BeKAA+BECACJ+CAACA"
/* / ` */"CD+LBCACJ*":1[n],j,l=!k,m;do for(m=*i-48,j=l?m/k:m%k;m>>7?k=1<<m+
/* \_,hris Brown -- All opinions expressed are probably wrong. */return 0;}
Tim Cutts
2003-09-17 17:55:07 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Sor C Mann
Go and get your video camera and send it Kirsty's (Uncensored) Home Videos.
They'll give you good dosh for that.
This programme is variously known as "Kirsty's Naked People", or "Kirsty's
People Falling Over" in our household. I understand it's meant to be
amusing, but can't for the life of me see how.
On the plus side, it does have Kirsty herself, of course. But I agree,
the clips and canned laughter are dreadful. Especially the "naked
people" version of the show...

Tim
Sor C Mann
2003-09-17 20:59:58 UTC
Post by Tim Cutts
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Sor C Mann
Go and get your video camera and send it Kirsty's (Uncensored) Home Videos.
They'll give you good dosh for that.
This programme is variously known as "Kirsty's Naked People", or "Kirsty's
People Falling Over" in our household. I understand it's meant to be
amusing, but can't for the life of me see how.
On the plus side, it does have Kirsty herself, of course. But I agree,
the clips and canned laughter are dreadful. Especially the "naked
people" version of the show...
Ah, but it does wonders for breaking down the barriers of peoples'
inhibitions.

Won't be long now before we start seeing real naked people on BBC1 after
9pm.
zulu
2003-09-17 13:47:03 UTC
Post by Brenda
I was walking my three Jack Russels the other day in Quy Fen...
I was very surprised to see eldery men, completly naked, skulking in
the bushes.....
Are they nudists, or just homosexuals.
One of them had a dog with him, but it was wearing it's collar.
As a civilised woman, I was shocked to see such rampant nudity.
Well if they *were* rampant, I'd guess the latter.... <VBG>
Post by Brenda
Now if they were young or attractive or both, I'd of been over there.
I mentioned it to the vicar at my local church, he seemed more
interested than shocked, and asked for detailed directions.
Hmmmm.....
reply to group - thank you :-)
Gropius Riftwynde
2003-09-17 15:03:33 UTC
Post by Brenda
I was walking my three Jack Russels the other day in Quy Fen...
I was very surprised to see eldery men, completly naked, skulking in
the bushes.....
Are they nudists, or just homosexuals.
They could be both, or neither, though if popular folklore is to be
believed, they are unlikely to be sexual at all. Every fule kno that
people lose all interest beyond a Certain Age.
Post by Brenda
One of them had a dog with him, but it was wearing it's collar.
He could have been a bestiarist (is there such a term?) If he had been
wearing the dog's collar then blame the dog.
Post by Brenda
As a civilised woman, I was shocked to see such rampant nudity.
Civilised people don't have naked bodies, presumably? Or at least not
rampant ones.
Post by Brenda
Now if they were young or attractive or both, I'd of been over there.
Ah, well.
Post by Brenda
I mentioned it to the vicar at my local church, he seemed more
interested than shocked, and asked for detailed directions.
What am I to do......?
Help him to pray, and enlist the assistance of the local WI.

GR
Sor C Mann
Maybe it's that bloody priest again!
Chris Brown
2003-09-17 16:42:35 UTC
Post by Gropius Riftwynde
Post by Brenda
As a civilised woman, I was shocked to see such rampant nudity.
Civilised people don't have naked bodies, presumably? Or at least not
rampant ones.
Isn't irrational fear of nakedness one of those strange working-class
obsessions, a bit like having those revolting porcelain figurines on the
mantlepiece, keeping the house scrupulously tidy and ironing socks? Maybe
this is why Murdoch-One has programmes like Kirsty's Naked People?
Ian Cowley
2003-09-17 17:00:13 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Gropius Riftwynde
Post by Brenda
As a civilised woman, I was shocked to see such rampant nudity.
Civilised people don't have naked bodies, presumably? Or at least not
rampant ones.
Isn't irrational fear of nakedness one of those strange working-class
obsessions, a bit like having those revolting porcelain figurines on the
mantlepiece, keeping the house scrupulously tidy and ironing socks? Maybe
this is why Murdoch-One has programmes like Kirsty's Naked People?
I'd never really heard that, but I agree. Nakedness should be celebrated
(except in the cases of the extremely ugly) :)

Why there is such fuss made of nakedness, i have no idea - without it, we'd
not really get anywhere (think newborn babies and the whole sex thing [1])

And on a slightly related note, why are genetalia considered 'rude'? We all
have them. So long as nobody's being deliberately obscene at other people,
then what's the problem?

[1]OK, so complete nudity isn;t required, but it's a lot easier.
--
Ian Cowley (Not Reverend) - Perfecting pedantry through practice

"Some people don't understand statistics" - Ciaran Byrne
Chris Brown
2003-09-17 21:09:14 UTC
Post by Ian Cowley
And on a slightly related note, why are genetalia considered 'rude'? We all
have them. So long as nobody's being deliberately obscene at other people,
then what's the problem?
Possibly because they look like the sort of chicken portion that
supermarkets can only get rid of via their Internet shop?
Sor C Mann
2003-09-17 21:38:32 UTC
Er, is that a real remark about supermarket food we should be aware of?
Brenda
2003-09-18 10:17:09 UTC
Apparently the Vicar went up to the fen. He had a moderate grayish
violet to moderate reddish purple, twin set on, under his distinctive
dress or costume, especially of a religious order.
I hear it was a very appealing combo'
I heard all this from my neighbour Doreen, apparently the vicar,
traveling under the handle of 'Rachel' had a very joyess (not to say
gay) time up there.
His last sermon was a little shorter than his norm, he looked tired,
almost exhausted.
Some of the Parish who sat at the front of the congregation said that
they could see leaves, and small bits of tissue falling from his
Tussoc, the same leaves that are found on the fen.
Doreen had an idea what the tissue was for, but it's unprintable, on
such a respectfuil forum.

The mysteries of Quy Fen continue......

Love from Brenda
Brenda
2003-09-18 10:38:49 UTC
"
I saw this:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3119024.stm
Brian Morrison
2003-09-18 10:37:01 UTC
Post by Ian Cowley
And on a slightly related note, why are genetalia considered 'rude'? We all
have them. So long as nobody's being deliberately obscene at other people,
then what's the problem?
Victorian legislation: if a man is naked then he will offend ladies and
commit an offence of indecent exposure. If a woman is naked then she
will incite all the men present to some action rather than offend them,
hence the charge is behaviour liable to lead to a breach of the peace.

This may have changed recently though, or be about to.
Brian
The Natural Philosopher
2003-09-18 11:33:27 UTC
Post by Brian Morrison
behaviour liable to lead to a breach of the peace.
If not a piece of the breech :-)

Its a norhern european thing. Its too damned cold to take your clothes off except for sex.
Mark Carroll
2003-09-18 14:04:43 UTC
In article <***@reading.news.pipex.net>,
Brian Morrison <***@fenrir.org.uk> wrote:
(snip)
Post by Brian Morrison
Victorian legislation: if a man is naked then he will offend ladies and
commit an offence of indecent exposure. If a woman is naked then she
will incite all the men present to some action rather than offend them,
hence the charge is behaviour liable to lead to a breach of the peace.
This may have changed recently though, or be about to.
I was curious about the guy at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/england/3130817.stm - how come he can walk
the length of Britain naked but no such convictions are mentioned?

-- Mark
Ian Cowley
2003-09-18 14:19:16 UTC
Post by Mark Carroll
(snip)
Post by Brian Morrison
Victorian legislation: if a man is naked then he will offend ladies and
commit an offence of indecent exposure. If a woman is naked then she
will incite all the men present to some action rather than offend them,
hence the charge is behaviour liable to lead to a breach of the peace.
This may have changed recently though, or be about to.
I was curious about the guy at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/england/3130817.stm - how come he can walk
the length of Britain naked but no such convictions are mentioned?
He's had a lot of warnings, was remanded on bail for something, and
eventually the cases were dropped.
A superb letter was written to the Times (paraphrased):

"Sir, I see that the case againt [naked man] has been dropped due to lack of
tangible evidence.
What more humiliating judgement could be passed on a man?"

:)
--
Ian Cowley (Not Reverend) - Perfecting pedantry through practice

"Dad, do you even know what 'rhetorical' means?"
"Do I know what rhetorical means?!"
August West
2003-09-18 14:22:51 UTC
Post by Ian Cowley
Post by Mark Carroll
I was curious about the guy at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/england/3130817.stm - how come he can walk
the length of Britain naked but no such convictions are mentioned?
He's had a lot of warnings, was remanded on bail for something, and
eventually the cases were dropped.
He's currently in jail in Dingwall, Scotland, and still faces charges
in Duns, Perth and Inverness:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3119856.stm
is your love in vain?
Mark Carroll
2003-09-18 15:30:26 UTC
In article <6hfziu.i3b8-***@news2.kororaa.com>,
August West <***@kororaa.com> wrote:
(snip)
Post by August West
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3119856.stm
Ah, thanks! Interesting that it's for breaking the peace, not indecent
exposure.

-- Mark
August West
2003-09-18 15:59:52 UTC
Post by Mark Carroll
(snip)
Post by August West
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3119856.stm
Ah, thanks! Interesting that it's for breaking the peace, not indecent
exposure.
Possibly just a quirk of Scots law - breach of the peace is a
remarkably broad catch-all offence up there.
a heart on fire but no-one home
Brian Morrison
2003-09-18 16:03:21 UTC
Post by Mark Carroll
(snip)
Post by August West
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3119856.stm
Ah, thanks! Interesting that it's for breaking the peace, not indecent
exposure.
Scottish Law perhaps? I don't know if it is different in this respect
from English Law.
Brian
Gropius Riftwynde
2003-09-19 08:17:00 UTC
Post by Mark Carroll
(snip)
Post by August West
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3119856.stm
Ah, thanks! Interesting that it's for breaking the peace, not indecent
exposure.
I did see John Simpson having a pee behind a tree near Coe Fen once.
Perhaps he was having an urgent news flash.

GR
Dave Holland
2003-09-18 15:34:26 UTC
Post by August West
He's currently in jail in Dingwall, Scotland, and still faces charges
Funny how he walked the length of England without more than a few
warnings, yet he gets to Scotland and is thrown in jail. :-)

Dave
Gropius Riftwynde
2003-09-19 08:03:56 UTC
Post by Dave Holland
Post by August West
He's currently in jail in Dingwall, Scotland, and still faces charges
Funny how he walked the length of England without more than a few
warnings, yet he gets to Scotland and is thrown in jail. :-)
Not quite. He earlier got within 12 miles of John O'Groats and was
taken back by the Devon and Cornwall police, who went to fetch him for
jumping bail. Charges were then dropped by them due to lack of
evidence.

GR
Robert Hunt
2003-09-22 18:03:58 UTC
Post by Brian Morrison
Victorian legislation: if a man is naked then he will offend ladies and
commit an offence of indecent exposure. If a woman is naked then she
will incite all the men present to some action rather than offend them,
hence the charge is behaviour liable to lead to a breach of the peace.
I seem to recall that if a man were to undress in a window and a woman
were to see him, he could be charged with indecent exposure; but if a
woman were to undress in a window and a man saw her, he could be charged
with being a Peeping Tom. (Not sure what the actual offence would be!)
In short, the man gets it every time.

[This observation originally due to Benny Hill, of all people.]

Kas
2003-09-18 10:42:06 UTC
Post by Ian Cowley
And on a slightly related note, why are genetalia considered 'rude'? We all
have them. So long as nobody's being deliberately obscene at other people,
then what's the problem?
Who decides what is obscene? or deliberate? The same people who have
already decided that an uncovered willy is obscene?

Kas
Brian Morrison
2003-09-18 10:53:57 UTC
Post by Kas
Post by Ian Cowley
And on a slightly related note, why are genetalia considered 'rude'? We all
have them. So long as nobody's being deliberately obscene at other people,
then what's the problem?
Who decides what is obscene? or deliberate? The same people who have
already decided that an uncovered willy is obscene?
Under the Obscene Publications Act, a jury must decide on whether
something is obscene by determining whether, in their opinion, it is
liable to corrupt or deprave a typical member of the public.

Of course, such a person does not exist.
Brian
Sor C Mann
2003-09-18 13:21:32 UTC
Post by Brian Morrison
Under the Obscene Publications Act, a jury must decide on whether
something is obscene by determining whether, in their opinion, it is
liable to corrupt or deprave a typical member of the public.
Of course, such a person does not exist.
And is extremely subjective. If a person is depraved by this, then they
clearly need psychological treatment. It is not the fault of the
obscene-ees.

Also, what the hell does 'corrupt' mean?
Sor C Mann
2003-09-18 13:20:04 UTC

Mary Whitehouse!
Gropius Riftwynde
2003-09-18 09:26:54 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Gropius Riftwynde
Post by Brenda
As a civilised woman, I was shocked to see such rampant nudity.
Civilised people don't have naked bodies, presumably? Or at least not
rampant ones.
Isn't irrational fear of nakedness one of those strange working-class
obsessions, a bit like having those revolting porcelain figurines on the
mantlepiece, keeping the house scrupulously tidy and ironing socks? Maybe
this is why Murdoch-One has programmes like Kirsty's Naked People?
Civilised people have 'figures' on which clothes 'fall'. The rest have
naked bodies, on which clothes 'hang'.

GR
Kas
2003-09-18 10:46:03 UTC
Post by Brenda
I was walking my three Jack Russels the other day in Quy Fen...
I was very surprised to see eldery men, completly naked, skulking in
the bushes.....
[snip]

Dunno about Quy Fen in particular, but the BBC website has an article
about 'dogging' ("...unprotected sex with strangers in public
parks.")here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3119024.stm

Maybe that has a bearing on what you, or others in this thread, saw?

Kas
Richard Kettlewell
2003-09-18 15:45:10 UTC
Post by Kas
Dunno about Quy Fen in particular, but the BBC website has an
article about 'dogging' ("...unprotected sex with strangers in
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3119024.stm
More than 20,000 people are registered with one UK "dogging"
newsgroup.

I rather suspect someone may have been having fun winding up a
journalist...
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
Brian Watson
2003-09-19 05:33:46 UTC
Post by Richard Kettlewell
Post by Kas
Dunno about Quy Fen in particular, but the BBC website has an
article about 'dogging' ("...unprotected sex with strangers in
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3119024.stm
More than 20,000 people are registered with one UK "dogging"
newsgroup.
"uk.rec.barkingmad" by any chance?

Paul Rudin
2003-09-19 05:47:37 UTC
Post by Richard Kettlewell
Post by Kas
Dunno about Quy Fen in particular, but the BBC website has an
article about 'dogging' ("...unprotected sex with strangers in
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3119024.stm
More than 20,000 people are registered with one UK "dogging"
newsgroup.
I rather suspect someone may have been having fun winding up a
journalist...
Yes - what exactly does this process of "registering with a
.. newsgroup" entail?
Andrew Mobbs
2003-09-19 10:28:29 UTC
Post by Paul Rudin
Post by Richard Kettlewell
Post by Brenda
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3119024.stm
More than 20,000 people are registered with one UK "dogging"
newsgroup.
I rather suspect someone may have been having fun winding up a
journalist...
Yes - what exactly does this process of "registering with a
.. newsgroup" entail?
I wouldn't necessarily expect a journalist to distinguish between
newsgroup, mailing-list, web-bulletin-board, FidoNet forum, 'blog or
about a dozen asynchronous electronic communication systems. (All the
near real-time ones are "chat-rooms".)

Just because they said "newsgroup" doesn't mean NNTP.
Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/
Richard Kettlewell
2003-09-19 11:27:24 UTC
Post by Andrew Mobbs
Post by Paul Rudin
Yes - what exactly does this process of "registering with a
.. newsgroup" entail?
I wouldn't necessarily expect a journalist to distinguish between
newsgroup, mailing-list, web-bulletin-board, FidoNet forum, 'blog or
about a dozen asynchronous electronic communication systems. (All
the near real-time ones are "chat-rooms".)
Just because they said "newsgroup" doesn't mean NNTP.
That's true, but I'd normally expect them to make the opposite
imprecision, for instance to say "chat room" (or even "web site") when
they meant a newsgroup.
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
Paul Rudin
2003-09-19 12:02:13 UTC
Post by Andrew Mobbs
Post by Paul Rudin
Post by Brenda
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3119024.stm
More than 20,000 people are registered with one UK "dogging"
newsgroup.
I rather suspect someone may have been having fun winding up a
journalist...
Yes - what exactly does this process of "registering with a
.. newsgroup" entail?
I wouldn't necessarily expect a journalist to distinguish
between newsgroup, mailing-list, web-bulletin-board, FidoNet
forum, 'blog or about a dozen asynchronous electronic
communication systems. (All the near real-time ones are
"chat-rooms".)
Just because they said "newsgroup" doesn't mean NNTP.
Sure, but it's still sloppy journalism. I takes very little effort to
find out what is meant by these terms.